As the colours begin to change and sweater weather approaches, treat yourself to a fall-inspired dessert. Made with fresh apples and infused with our Van Houtte® Colombia Fair Trade, Signature Collection, dark roast coffee, a slice of our coffee and apple cake will leave you ready for those chilly autumn afternoons.
- In a bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Stir in apples and ground Van Houtte® Colombia Fair Trade coffee.
- Transfer to two greased 8-inch square baking pans.
- For topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut into butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Once it’s cooled, enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee.
Make it for dessert, then have it again for breakfast! Treat yourself in the morning and pair it with a steamy cup of our Van Houtte® Colombia Fair Trade coffee.