This summer, add a personal touch to your backyard barbecue by swapping out store-bought ketchup for a homemade batch. With notes of cinnamon and Kenyan coffee beans, this condiment is the perfect addition to any burger. Friends and family will be dying to get their hands on a jar!
- Using the tip of a knife, score the bottom of each tomato by making an “X”
- Boil the tomatoes for 1 minute, drain and immediately place them in iced water. The tomatoes should now peel easily. Peel and set aside.
- Peel the peaches, apples, pears and onions. Cut them into coarsely diced pieces, remove the pit or core if applicable. Set aside.
- Place the coffee, cinnamon, cloves, celery seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and black peppercorns in a piece of cheesecloth. Knot it into a small pouch.
- In a large pot, place the peeled tomatoes, the diced peaches, apples, pears and onions, the spice pouch, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and salt.
- Bring the pot to a boil over medium heat, and simmer 3 hours.
- Remove the spice pouch and puree all the ingredients using a food processor.
- The ketchup can be kept in the refrigerator or in sterilized glass jars. Enjoy!