This mocha shortbread recipe is a gift to yourself and your family. These buttery Christmas cookies are crumbly, comforting and cocolicious thanks to their delectable dark chocolate icing. The secret ingredient in this coffee recipe? Van Houtte® Butterscotch Ground Coffee baked right into the dough! Sorry Santa, but you will have to share the cookies this year.
- Sift flour and salt in a bowl. Add Van Houtte® Butterscotch Ground Coffee and mix. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl for a few minutes until well blended.
- Add coffee mixture, and continue to beat on low speed until mixture becomes a fluffy, smooth ball.
- Divide dough in half and form two rolls 1 in. in diameter. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cut rolls into ¼ in. thick slices with a sharp knife.
- Place slices about 1 in. apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before handling. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For chocolate glaze, place chocolate and vegetable oil in a bowl. Put in micro-wave for 30 seconds at a time, blending each time, until chocolate has melted. Let cool for 10 minutes to thicken chocolate for dipping.
- Dip one side of cookies in chocolate and let excess drip off. Place cookies on parchment paper until chocolate has hardened.
Can’t wait to try this shortbread recipe? Kickstart your Christmas cookies by getting some Van Houtte Butterscotch Ground Coffee online or at a retailer near you!