By adding a cup of woodsy, lively coffee to the cooking stock of this luscious stew you’ve just elevated a standard comfort dish into an unexpected revelation. The stock gets thickened and enriched with cream to make a sauce that hugs the tender veal, mushrooms and pearl onions in a rich, layered blanket.
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Strain cooking juice through a sieve and reduce by half to get about 3 cups of liquid.
- Remove veal cubes from sieve and set aside in a bowl. Discard vegetable chunks.
- Blanch mushrooms and onions directly in cooking juice for 10 minutes. Put veal cubes back in cooking juice.
- In a small bowl, dilute cornstarch in cold water. Pour into boiling cooking juice and mix with a fork. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and cream and pour in a little of the hot sauce to warm up mixture. Stir mixture directly into sauce and cook for 2 minutes with-out bringing to a boil.
- Serve immediately with rice pilaf and a green vegetable.