This creamy and cheesy risotto is further enhanced with the addition of wild mushrooms and a subtle coffee flavour. The mushrooms, coffee and cheese all pair perfectly together in this comfort food favourite. Serve as a main dish with a vegetable or salad or as an appetizer for a fancy dinner at home.
- In a small saucepan, bring the veal stock to a boil over high heat.
- In a large skillet, sweat the shallot in butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the Arborio rice and ground coffee. Stir.
- Pour in the white wine, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Stir in veal stock to the rice mixture, a ladleful at a time (about ½ cup). Bring to a boil and reduce after each ladleful of stock, stirring constantly.
- When there is no more stock to add, taste the rice. If it is cooked (tender but still slightly crunchy), remove the pan from the heat. Otherwise, continue to add water in the same manner as the veal stock until cooked.
- Once removed from heat, add the parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Mix.
- Serve immediately.